2017 was a momentous year for us. We released new products, doubled our client base and bagged recognitions from journalists and the media. To share our excitement, here are our Top Metamako Moments of the year.
1) Transforming Networks - new products, applications and features
Building cutting-edge technology is what gets us out of bed in the morning. This year we have launched a range of new devices. Most notably, we released our MetaConnect 96, a low-latency, 2 RU, 96-port Layer 1+ switch which is FPGA-upgradable. In June, we went on to announce the Metamako E-Series, a new series of network devices capable of running up to 3 powerful FPGAs on a single 1RU or 2RU device, leveraging the latest FPGAs from Xilinx: the Kintex® UltraScale™ and the Virtex® UltraScale+™.
We also put major work into our applications. We re-architected the MetaMux app support of our E-series switches to further reduce latency, resulting in a reduction of 20% on average, with multiple modes/mode combinations available. Our MetaMux E-Series now performs data aggregation in 55 nanoseconds.
Last but by no means least, we added a multitude of new features: DWDM Support, 1G MetaMux, Time-series data/telemetry, the ability to upgrade devices with OCXO & Atomic Clock Modules for more accurate timestamps, JSON-RPC API, Experimental BGP/PIM, AAA Authentication, mixed 10G and 1G capture modes as well as sample (per second), store packet, deep buffer and sync stats in InfluxDB for MetaWatch ... to name just a few.
2) Better together - the Metamako partner programmeIn 2017 we furthered our integration with Enyx whose nxLink Share and Secure continued it's migration to Metamako. Enyx is currently working on version 2.0 of these products which will further leverage our platforms. MayStreet, Velocimetrics, Netcope, NovaSparks and Arrayware also joined our partner programme as integration partners. Moreover, we enrolled in the Xilinx Alliance Program as well as the Intel IoT Partnership Program, to work together and leverage what on-board FPGA can deliver.
"Building an ecosystem of trusted partners is one of our core objectives", says Kevin Covington, our CEO. "It allows us to offer powerful complementary solutions that run on the Metamako hardware and provide clients additional capabilities such as optimised analytics, data capture solutions and more."
3) Straight out of the lab - creating industry benchmarks
An increasing number of network devices offer the ability to timestamp frames. Until now vendors had no way of proving that the timestamps their devices apply are as accurate as they claim - there was no independent way of verifying it. Metamako & the Securities Technology Analysis Center LLC (STAC®) have teamed up to create the new STAC-TS benchmarks, which provide an independent framework on how to measure timeframe accuracy.
MetaWatch, with a timestamp resolution of 1 ns, was the first product which has been through the STAC-TS latency benchmarks. The results demonstrated 100% of the timestamps were accurate to 0.5 +/- 2.5 nanoseconds relative to an external atomic reference timing source.
Want to read up on it? >> Download: STAC-TS - Time Synchronisation Benchmarks
4) Growing faster, bigger, stronger - the Metamako team
In 2017, we nearly doubled the size of our team with 20 new staff members joining us, bringing the total to 49 people. New team members include 9 engineering staff and we grew our sales and marketing team from 3 to 9. We’re an international bunch as well, now speaking 12 languages amongst us.
Moreover, we are getting involved in community and education programmes and have been sponsoring the "Best Research Paper Award" at UNSW as well as the ACCESS for Women, UNSW five day summer school for female students.
5) Knowledge is power - the Metamako thought leadership initiative
Blogs, research reports, infographics and technical white papers, in 2017 we launched our content initiative to educate and share our vision when it comes to low-latency, application-centric devices, FPGA technology and layer 1+ switching. Here are, again, some of the most downloaded and read content assets of 2017:
6) Natural born winners!
Boy we were winning this year. Deloitte named Metamako as one of the Top 10 fastest growing Australian tech companies, with an impressive growth of more than 800%. We were equally named the 69th fastest growing firm in whole of AsiaPacific.
Besides that, we have been shortlisted and won several other global technology awards. Here are some of the most prestigious:
- 'Best New Technology - Infrastructure' at the AFTAs - American Financial Technology Awards for our work of leveraging triple FPGA-technology for trading
- WestPac's 'Businesses of Tomorrow' award
- Runner-up at Australia’s FinTech Awards in the ‘Excellence in Establishing Global Market Presence’ category
- Shortlisted in the 'Time-Stamping / Infrastructure Performance Monitoring' category of the Intelligent Trading Technology Awards.
7) Trading firms, Telcos, Exchanges - our client base
We doubled our client base this year. High frequency trading firms, stock exchanges, major banks as well as telecommunication providers are all using Metamako for their critical network functions, worldwide. ASX, FXecosystem, LMAX are just some of our clients.
8) Our expansion in Asia
After opening a base in Tokyo, we obtained the China Compulsory Certification (CCC) for our devices to gain fully-regulated access to the enormous Chinese market. Metamako’s first products to be certified include the MetaConnect 48 low-latency, layer 1+ switch and our FPGA-enabled MetaMux 48 series of devices.
And what about 2018?
We will kick-start the year with more product news and a major client announcement. But we won't give it all away just yet! Happy Holidays and a Prosperous New Year 2018 from all of us!