9 November 2016, New York, London & Sydney: Metamako, the leading specialist in deterministic network devices for the world’s financial institutions, has today announced a major improvement to the latency of MetaMux 48, down from an already-impressive 82 nanoseconds to just 69 nanoseconds for round-trip exchange connectivity. MetaMux 48 is Metamako’s next-generation, 48-port device and is now the lowest-latency exchange connectivity solution available. When launched in May this year it was more than twice as fast as any of the best-performing conventional network switches.
In another major innovation, Metamako has launched MetaFilter, the fastest filtering application on the market. This unique app is available for Metamako’s MetaMux 32 and MetaApp 32 devices and will shortly be available for MetaMux 48. With a latency of just 95 nanoseconds, MetaFilter performs market data filtering at least twice as fast as conventional network devices. Its latency remains deterministic, regardless of the number of filters and/or rules being applied.
Dr. Dave Snowdon, founder and CTO of Metamako, said: “MetaFilter allows providers of market data and venue connectivity to select the messages that each of their clients’ applications wish to receive. Each of our devices can have up to 31 individual custom configurations of market data with the filtering being done at record low latencies and with the usual, high degree of determinism that our clients have come to expect of us.” He adds: “It’s also great to be able to announce the latency reduction of MetaMux 48. We’ve made substantial improvements to the software, which was already exceptionally fast: it now allows multiple trading servers to leverage a single exchange hand-off at a fraction of the latency incurred by typical switches.
MetaFilter can be used for:
- Firewall and security purposes, and for privacy in multi-tenant scenarios.
- Broadcasting a single market data stream to many filters, creating new packet streams with different content.
- Ensuring compliance with exchange market data rules by only giving access to data to those who are paying for it.
Key benefits include:
- Very fast delivery of data to latency-sensitive applications.
- Filtering at a fraction of the latency of traditional switches and without incurring additional latency for network-card or software-based filtering.
- Per-port filters allow different servers/applications/clients to receive different data subsets.
- Available as a software download to all Metamako clients.
Filters can be applied using standard access control lists (ACLs), which allow filtering based on the IP, MAC addresses, UDP or TCP port, VLAN tag, etc, contained within a packet. A typical implementation is to filter low latency market data to reduce the load on downstream application servers or to adhere to exchange market data access rules.